Saturday, July 9, 2016

Ginger + Garlic = Happiness




Did you ever notice that if you add ginger and garlic to anything it just tastes amazing.  I have been really inspired by this delicious combination lately.  I have also been inspired by the extremely warm weather on Nantucket.  The warm weather makes me crave easy dinners that require little to no heat from the stove.  Savoy Slaw and Cool as A Cucumber Noodle Salad with Poached Shrimp are two recipes that are perfect for warm nights.





Savoy Slaw Recipe

1/2 Head Savoy Cabbage, shredded
1/4 Red Onion, thinly sliced
1/2 Orange Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
1/3 English Cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
1/3 Cup Fresh Cilantro, chopped
1/4 Cup Fresh Mint, chopped
1 Tablespoon Sesame Seeds

Dressing
1/2 Inch Ginger, grated
2 Tablespoons Rice Wine Vinegar
1/2 Teaspoon Toasted Sesame Oil
1 Tablespoon Tamari or Soy Sauce
Juice from 1/2 a Lime

In a large bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients.  Place all slaw ingredients on top of the dressing in the large bowl and toss together until everything is combined.  Put your slaw in the fridge for about 30 minutes.  That will give the cabbage a chance to soak up all the yummy dressing.



The ginger/garlic inspiration continued with this next recipe.  I wanted something cool and satisfying for dinner and also I am still trying to get the hubs to love a veggie noodle!  I looked to my fridge and cupboards for ideas.  I found rice noodles, cucumbers, some avocado and some fresh herbs.  I also had a stash of shrimp in the freezer, score.  Bam! Done.  

4 Ounces of Rice Noodles, steamed
1 English Cucumber,  spiralized



I knew that a mix of rice noodles with the cucumbers noodles would create a nice texture.  Plus it looked real pretty!



I tossed the noodle mixture with a gingery, garlicky sauce and let them sit in the fridge for a few hours.  This allowed the noodles to absorb all the goodness.



Gingery, Garlicky Sauce

Ingredients
 Zest and Juice from 1 Lemon and 1 Lime
1/2 Inch Ginger, grated
2 large Garlic Cloves, grated
1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
1 Tablespoon Tamari

Toss all the ingredients together and pour over the noodle mixture.
 I decided to poach the shrimp with some aromatics.  This made it quick and easy and didn't over-heat my kitchen
I Lemon, Sliced
2 Teaspoons Red Pepper Flake
1 Tablespoon Peppercorns
2 Teaspoons Salt
Water

Bring Everything to a boil and add shrimp.  Cook until the shrimp are pink and happy.


With the noodles soaking up glory in the fridge and the shrimp cooling....I drank Rose and waiting ever so patiently.







When we were ready for dinner, I chopped up some fresh herbs that I had on hand.  I threw together a mix of mint, cilantro and basil.  I also added avocado because....come on it is avocado!



Everything came together pretty nicely if I do say so myself!

Cucumber Noodle Salad with Poached Shrimp

No comments:

Post a Comment