Monday, February 8, 2016

Super Sunday, Part 1

Super Sunday, Part 1

Sundays are just the best.  It is a time for really good coffee, walks and making really delicious food.
Chemex...the best


Hand grinding the beans...bless him!


A morning stroll



I started my morning with a little project.  I am a grapefruit fanatic.  It's a love affair that borders on obsession.  I peel them like oranges and go to town.  Last week I realized that all those delicious grapefruit peels should not go to waste.



I decided to save the peels to create a yummy little treat,

Candied Grapefruit Peels
Spiced with Cardamom and Cinnamon

Ingredients
Peels from 4-5 Medium Grapefruits
1 cup sugar, more for dusting
1 cup water
1 cinnamon stick
4-5 cardamom pods
1 star anise

Cut the grapefruit peels into small pieces or strips.  My were all shapes and sizes because I didn't want to waste.  Put the peels in a large pot and cover with cold water.  Bring the peels to a hard boil, drain and repeat 3 more times.  This helps to get rid of some of the bitterness in the peels and gives them a gummy-candy texture.



After you go through the boil, drain, repeat activity, put the peels back into the pot with 1 cup of water, 1 cups of sugar, and the spices.  Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.  Simmer the peels for 20-30 minutes.  After the simmer, drain the peels BUT SAVE THE LIQUID.  It's perfect for cocktails.  Mix that with some gin and club soda...YUM!!

Put the peels on a drying rack and let them dry for 5-6 hours.




After they dry, place them in a bag with sugar and give it a shake.  And now you have these delicious little morsels of grapefruit goodness!

I did some research to find this recipe and I used a combination of techniques.
Check out http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/simple-candied-orange-peel-350798
and http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/candied-grapefruit-peel





No comments:

Post a Comment