Saturday, March 19, 2016

Everyone loves Carrot Cake!


Happy Birthday to you!

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and Candied Coconut

I love birthdays and I believe everyone deserves their absolute favorite cake on their birthday.  The most recent birthday requests have all been CARROT CAKE.  So I have had the opportunity to play and experiment with different recipes and mixtures to create the most delicious carrot cake. 

This cake is so simple to make and doesn't make a huge mess in the kitchen.  It is a two-bowl situation.  I shredded my own carrots but you can also buy those bag of pre-shredded carrots.

The most recent cake was baked for my good friend Kathleen. (Photo Above) She is a nutritionist and she has great info and photos on Instagram @mininutrition!  I gussied up her cake a bit with candied walnuts and coconut.  It added a nice little crunch to the cake.


Check out the Recipe and make a birthday extra special!

Ingredients
2 cups shredded carrots
8 oz crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
3/4 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all purpose flour
1½ teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Grease two 8 inch round cake pans.
Mix the carrots, pineapple, coconut, raisins, sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla together in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Combine the dry ingredients into your wet ingredients until the flour in well incorporated.  Now toss in the walnuts and get them evenly distributed through your batter.  No mixture required, just you and a spoon will do!

Pour the batter evenly into your two cake pans and bake on the middle rack of your oven for 25-30 minutes.  Check the cake after 25 minutes.  Oven temperatures vary and so your best bet is the good old-fashioned toothpick test.  Insert a toothpick into the center of your cake and if it comes out clean, it is done!  Allow to cool in the pans for 15-20 minutes.  After they have cooled slightly, carefully remove the cakes and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.  In the mean time you can make frosting and toppings!

Cream Cheese Frosting

10 oz cream cheese, room temperature
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla
4 cups powdered sugar

Beat the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.  Add the vanilla. Next, add the powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time.  Continue until all of the sugar is incorporated.  This makes a good amount of frosting.  I always hate it when I run out mid-frost.  If you have leftovers...lucky you!  Use it as a fruit dip...delicious!

Toppings

The world is your oyster as far as cake toppings!  I "topped" based on the birthday boy or girl.  For Kathleen's cake I candied walnuts and just when the sugar was beginning to turn that light caramel color, I added some shredded coconut.  I also tossed in a little cinnamon and nutmeg.  I have also candied carrots and toasted walnuts.
This cake got the candied carrots.
I kept it simple on this cake, toasted walnuts.  Classic.




 So many people have enjoyed this cake.  It has become a go-to!  Today I woke up and played with my bundt pan and cream cheese glaze (Note: Definitely a longer baking time on this one, 45-50 minutes).  I topped this lovely creation with more of the walnut and coconut topping (had to get it out of the house....was eating it by the handful....dangerous).  Next time I tackle the carrot cake I want to add some booze because...why not!  I am going to soak the raisins in rum and maybe brush a little rum on the cake layers before frosting.

The Bundt Cake Version

Now that I have mastered the carrot cake...I await my next challenge.  Is your birthday coming up?  Let me know and I'll bake you a cake :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment